Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Monkey Wrench Gang - Edward Abbey



    I've started reading this book called The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey. It's about these people who go around destroying stuff the government has built (such as bridges, dams, etc.) if said things are "disrupting the harmony of the earth" which is the best I could describe it as.

    I really like the characters in this story. They're all so eccentric and quirky, and all have their own reasons for wanting to be part of the gang. Most of them just hold some sort of grudge, and some just want to be free from society.
    I don't really dislike anything about the characters, but I wish the author had described what the characters looked like a little more specifically because for example, I didn't even know one or two of the characters were African American until later.

    If I were a character in this story, I would most definitely be in the gang with them. How cool would it be to do all the wacky things they do? I would definitely be friends with Bonnie, one of the characters' lover. I love her personality and would love to know her in person. She does things that I enjoy doing, and not to mention her spunk. When she makes up her mind, she isn't changing it. She gets what she wants when she wants it and makes things so because she wants them to. Some people might find her annoying, but I think she's a bit of a role model in a way.

I can definitely predict two of the characters aren't going to get along well at all throughout the book. Bonnie, as I just discussed, has a hatred to one of the men in the story, Hayduke, because she thinks he's a pig that drinks too much. Hayduke doesn't like Bonnie mostly because of the sass that she gives him and because she's a woman. I hope that they can settle their differences, though, because they do way too much bickering and it probably isn't good for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment